Sunday, July 19, 2009
Kalel's first driving lesson
Kal has been asking me for awhile if I could help him learn how to drive. Charles had him drive one of the construction vehicles a year ago when he went with him to work one day. I told him when the opportunity came I would take him driving. Tonight seemed like the perfect night. We drove across the street to Fred Meyer and went to the back side of the parking lot. He listened as I talked a little bit about safety and what was important about driving. He asked questions and got the answers he needed. Then he asked me to guide him step by step into it. I helped him adjust the seat and steering wheel, (I forgot mirrors at first). Then as he started the van, I explained to him how to turn on his lights and which pedals to press and depress and when it was important to do those things. He did so good! He was able to gauge which pedal to use when and even parked in a parking spot and backed out when he was done. I trusted him to be safe with our van and he trusted me to be there for him when he needed help. And when he was done, he parked so we could switch spots. I am so proud of him. He would never have been comfortable with me to do this if we didnt have the relationship we do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment