Wednesday, March 21, 2012

When the unexpected happens

Sometimes, you just dont see things coming that you are completely unprepared for. Last week, Kyle's eye doctor called to ask me a zillion questions about how we homeschool. He wanted answers and he was determined to get them. I told him why we started homeschooling in the first place (Tori was learning way faster than the school could keep up and they labeled her adhd). I also let him know what our law is and that we are keeping within the law. He wanted to know about curriculm, grade level, phonics programs. I tried to explain to him that Ky is progressing and we are fine and that I am working with him on what he needs. I didnt give him specifics. I guess that wasnt good enough for him.

Today, he called to let me know that he called the school district to schedule an aptitude test for Kyle, so that the doctor himself could see what level Kyle is on. Oh MY GOD!! REALLY!! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??!!! I felt my blood start to boil inside. I asked him why. He told me so that he could find out what level Kyle is on and make sure that he is equal with his peers. I told him that as homeschoolers, we dont use the school district for testing and that we use a different method to test or assess our children (this was all explained to him during the first phone call, but I guess he wasnt listening to me.)  He wanted the school to give him a test for an IEP. I told him the reason we are homeschooling is so that he dosent end up with an IEP. He thought I wanted the school to test him. Not at any time, had I ever told him any such thing. I dont know where he even got that into his head. I knew that I had a bad feeling after the first call, but I never saw this coming. Talk about being blindsided. We are within the law and as far as I know, there is no homeschooling police.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here is a link to WA's homeschooling laws. You might write the Washington Homeschool Org. directly about your situation and see if they have any advice. Best wishes. I would be livid.