Great EscapeExperts dig into World War II's most daring and technically ingenious prison break.
He asked me "hey, what is this about". I explained to him what it was about and that also a movie was made a while back with Steve McQueen (my kids love Steve McQueen).
He already knew about it and had seen clips of the movie. I was a little suprised when I heard this and asked where he had heard. It turns out he was watching animal planet earlier today and it was the worlds best diggers. The movie was on the count down to show the worlds best diggers as the men who had dug their way out of their prison. This led to the conversation about the men and how they escaped, how most of them had been caught and either returned to another camp or shot and killed by the Gustapo. For my nine year old son to be interested in and learn about something that affected our world so intensly and not all that long ago for me is fantastic. He would never learn these things in public school at his age. He has always had a curiousity about WWII as have I. I dont know if he got it from me or if he just has it. It started with the movie Pearl Harbor and us talking about the war then. I hope someday that we can go to pearl harbor and then to europe and see sites of places we are interested in. On the last amazing race, the teams got to go to Auschwitz concentration camp. He watches that with me also and added to his WWII knowledge of the things that went on during the war. And he really feels badly for the people and especially the children. I think I will rent the Great Escape so that he can watch it with me. Who knows what questions that will lead too.
No comments:
Post a Comment