Sunday, September 16, 2007

Ten things we miss about Jersey



1. Entenmanns crumb donuts-we nicknamed these donuts Aughra donuts after the one eyed woman from the movie the Dark Crystal. The crumbs remind us of her home.


2. The Malls-the mall where we live now is one level and so small. Back home we had a choice of many malls of two or three levels each.


3. Good service in restaurants-here wait staff makes at least minimum wage so for some reason the service here is never as good as back home where the waitstaff have a special lower wage just for them so they get to work three times harder and better because they need to live off of their tips. And they definatley do it too. I have left many big tips for great service back home but very rarely do I come across a great waiter or waitress here in Tricities.


4. Close Big Cities-we lived right between NYC and Philadelphia. So, we could jump in the car or hop on the train to go see what other people see as once in a lifetime trips. We used to take the train to NY all the time and have seen everything there.


5. Dunkin Donuts-everytown has at least two or three DD. I lived there running two of them for about 8 years. I miss the great strong coffee. The kids miss the donuts.


6. Our jersey accents-when we moved out here, we all talked like Sopranos. After six years in the NW our accents are pretty much extinct (except for the occasional scream at the kids). Hey, how you doin'?


7. TGIFridays-What the hell Tricities? Is it too much to ask for a TGIFridays? Just some Jack Daniels ribs or chicken would be fine. Thanks


8. Brooklyn Style NYC pizza-there is nothing in the world like thin crust New York pizza.










9. Jersey Mikes subs-I have learned to replicate to the best of my ability a giant yummy Jersey sub.















10. And for the last and best thing- the atlantic ocean. I miss the smell of sea air hitting me anywhere I am in town. I love that I grew up three blocks from the beach and i will never forget how it feels in any season. Someday, we will go back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is funny the things you miss. For me pork roll, and trying to explain that to someone makes it sound, not so good!

I still speak Jersey!

unschoolingsupermom said...

I understand the pork roll thing. That must have been started in Belmar elementary lunch room. Your lucky you get to go home and refresh your jersey accent. I think if i was back east still, i would probably have it.

Anonymous said...

It is so different. The people are all new and the ones that are left have done nothing with their lives. You can still find them all at 30 something hanging out out the local bars. It is good for you that you moved on. You have a beautiful family and a life you would never be able to have in Jersey.

The memories are so much better than reality, trust me!